Sunday, October 30, 2005

Hallowe'en


Also known as Hallowed Eve, or All Hallows Eve, or Samhain, or any of a frillion other cultures' namings. It all amounts to roughly the same thing: the walls between the worlds are thin during this part of the year, allowing the living to commune with the dead.

One wonders: is this a good thing? Do we really need to talk to those who have gone beyond? If we do, is it still really them? We, as living beings, are products of our environments, and the vicissitudes of everyday existence. If you take all that away, what's left? If the dead care nothing for the blandishments of this world, why should they even be the same people we knew when they were living?

And why are the walls weak during this time, anyway? Are the dead so restless that they scrabble at their prison so relentlessly during the rest of the year that the fabric of existence finally gives under their untiring siege? Are they, in fact, so weak that the proper push will collapse them completely?

At any rate, I thought that by not getting all gussie'd up for Hallowe'en, I'd be missing a ton of fun, but you know what? I've spent over 36 years to find out who I really am... why would I want to pretend to be someone else? Anyway, I'm the scariest thing I know, and I don't mean 'cause I'm big, fast, talon-clawed, and razor-fanged. Subjects for future blogs, perhaps.

Enjoy your Hallowe'en, y'all. Be good to your ghosts. Respect your past.

Why can't I live a life for me?/Why should I take the abuse that's served?/Why can't they see they're just like me?/It's the same, it's the same, in the whole wide world
Akela

No comments: