Tuesday, July 10, 2007


Overheard in San Francisco today: "The buses travel in threes, like nuns." I thought that was a lovely bit of accidental anthropomorphism; it sparked an image in my head of missionary buses, spreading the Word of the Leaky Gasket and the Coming of the Great Oil Change. Protected by divinity, a perambulating trinity, from here unto eternity.

I'm in the midst of my Time Away from Second Life. I've done this twice before, when the drama gets to be too much, or things have started to seem less special. It's remarkable that, even in a virtual space, surrounded by the impossible, even the extraordinary can deliquesce into the quotidian.

I'm not sure how long I'll be gone, and I'm still able to poke my head in to get information for Second Life Insider, but no socialization for me. It always eats up my time until there's nothing else to do but get into bed. I'm busier than I've ever been, and while that's a welcome change in some ways, I've found that if I'm not careful, things will quickly devolve into mere existence -- hurrying to keep up with the breakneck speed of Life for its own sake, rather than enjoying the journey.

It's that, in fact, which has kept me from posting to this blog on a regular basis -- not enough time, or at least, the perceived value of blogging is outweighed by the obvious value of Real Life work and spending time with my pup. Yet I see the ongoing blogging-level communication and want to be a part of it, so I'll try to keep up!

Glass of milk
Standing in between extinction in the cold
and explosive radiating growth
-- 'Mammal', They Might Be Giants

No comments: