Fiction: Pooka Dreams, Part 2

I dreamt that I walked through fields beneath the broadest, bluest sky I'd ever seen. I sat down amongst hilly clumps of sweet-smelling grasses and grasped the earth, running my hands through the stems of emerald as though they were hairs upon a lover's head.
I lay back and watched clouds form stories. Big fish chasing little fish through coral. Puffy white dragons, themselves made of smoke, dancing ethereally with one another. And people, gossamer and lace, courtly and regal in their spun-confectionary clothing, making the sweetest love above me. Cries of pleasure wisping stratus from open lips.
Something ran across my foot, and I sat up to find that I was surrounded by a crowd of rabbits. Some were hares, tall and golden, with a swift look about them even at rest. Their ears swept strongly up to the infinite sky. Some were lop-ears, with gentle hops and coats that echoed the cottonsoft of the clouds above. Yet for the most part individual detail was lost in the movement as I watched them all at play. A Brownian motion of happy confusion: soft and pleasant shapes colliding and scuffling with each other; darting browns and ochres racing their partners; single greys with mascaraed eyes dancing nimbly around the hills.
I felt such peace and joy that I spoke aloud: “I wish that I could be so free."
And a dark-furred rabbit with twinkling, somehow knowing eyes scampered over to me and leapt into my lap and said “You can be."
And I was at once in my bed again, with the first rays of dawnlight coming through the blinds over the window. Befuddled with sleep, I almost didn't notice the man lying next to me beneath the covers, but that he suddenly twitched and rolled over to turn his face to me.
In the magical, soothing light of first morning, his skin seemed furred, but this impression faded as I touched him. I ran my hand along his arm from the shoulder to the hand, and was aware of a compact strength beneath the velvety softness of his skin. I left my hand to cover his and stared at him.
Dark hair curled and framed a dark face. He looked so peaceful and gentle in sleep that any fears I may have had instantly deserted me. I studied him for the longest time, watching his nose twitch cutely at some dream of clover, watching the rising light fill in the contours of his pleasing face.
I knew he was my dream without wondering how I knew. It never seemed to matter. That he was here, with me, was enough. I leaned over and kissed his lips, tender and slightly parted, and drew back to meet his open eyes. They twinkled as he shyly smiled, and drew me close to him.
Such a morning I shall never forget. He was so eager, like a bunny, and loved to be touched. Caressing him, I felt transformed, like a Summer rain. And loving him, I was charged of an energy that left the hairs of our bodies standing on end. His body was lean and strong, yet soft and wonderful and agile. He was my perfect lover, and I yearned toward him with every possible cell of my being. And at last, we fell into each other's arms, and slept, and shared a dream between us.
All I've got to do is to love you
All I got to be is, be happy
All it's got to take is some warmth to make it
Blow away, blow away, blow away
-- "Blow Away", George Harrison
2 comments:
aw Akela, i loved this posting! thanks. love nips . Shaunny
Shivering swifts
scattering skies
and a drip of wine
picture it white
and paint is black
regret is for the end of time
be lite
fin
Post a Comment