Elevator Action

So the other day, I was wandering around downtown, following this businessman with a very busy schedule. He didn't see me; they never do. Once people grow up and become mundane, they lose their extraworldly perceptions. Pretty much the only folks who can see figments like me are children and animals. But I digress.
I followed this guy around, getting into cabs with him, taking meetings, working out in the gym, and so on. It didn't seem like much of a fun way to spend the greater portion of your day, and I was about to scurry off when he got into an elevator.
Have you ever ridden one of these things? It's the weirdest! First of all, you have to stand in front of a steel door until it decides it likes you enough to let you inside its little room. Then, once you get in, you get to press a bunch of buttons with numbers on them, which light up when you do. And then, the little room starts to make funny shuddering motions, and a shushing sound, and when the door opens again, you're in a different place! It's like magic!
I was so excited by the elevator I forgot to get off with the guy I'd been following around all day. I stayed on there for several hours, watching the lights, listening to the sounds, and mostly observing the different people getting on and off. People act funny in elevators.
First of all, nobody talks. It's so quiet in there you could hear people's stomachs growling during lunchtime. People don't even look at each other! They either stare at the floor, stare at the door, or at the changing numbers on the wall. It's like being in church, only nobody is telling you how bad you've been.
I had fun in the elevator that day... I wanna make one of my own to ride around the City in! Maybe I can get a bunch of figments together and we can play Busy Businesspeople: Get into the elevator, say nothing, then get off. Repeat for hours. That's time well spent!
Workin' like a dog for the boss man
Workin' for the company
Bettin' on the dice I'm tossin'
Gonna have a fantasy
-- "Love In An Elevator", Aerosmith
1 comment:
I will join you in your elevator world. I think it might be fun.
Post a Comment