This Thing All Things Devours

I seem to be getting a lot of comments, both posted and in email, about the cookie post. Who knew these little bombs of culinary pleasure would engender such passion? Many of the comments begin with singing the praises of chocolate chip cookies, then wander off into reminiscences of other favorite recipes. Here's one of mine:
My grandmother used to make something she called Fudge Ribbon Cake. As the name implies, this was an extremely moist, brownie-like cake, with 'ribbons' of cream cheese between the strata, topped with a rich and sinful layer of chocolate frosting. This was my favorite thing in the world. Although I was only technically allowed one (1) piece at a time, I'd manage to sneak off into the kitchen when no one was watching, and sneak little slivers that I thought no one would miss.
Since then, those memories still manage to evoke that time. The scent of cream cheese alone can instantly transport my mind back to heady days of a blanket of heat, sitting with family in a room slightly too small to hold us all, and savoring the mélange of flavors of my favorite cake. So tell me, O Constant Readers: what is your favorite food-related memory?
I've been leaving on my things
So in the morning when the morning bell rings
There's still dinner on my dinner jacket 'til the dinner bell rings
-- 'Dinner Bell', They Might Be Giants
1 comment:
The smell of peppermint candies...the memory of my great grandfather will always be with me through that one simple smell.
Post a Comment